MTN Uganda launches MTN Pulse Rap Battles
MTN Uganda has launched the Pulse MTN Rap Battle (MPRB), a three months rap comapetition that will also act as a lead up to the MTN Hip Hop awards in February 2020.
The telecom giant has sponsored the MTN Hip Hop Awards for the last 3 years. The MTN Pulse Rap Battles, however, offer the rap community a sustained opportunity to express their talent and are a fitting lead up to the awards. The MTN Pulse Rap battles will provide a minimum of 6 months engagement inclusive of a countrywide talent search, production and online/TV broadcast of the competition.
The 12-episode televised show will be set in a battle format in various settings like cages, streets, etc. in the presence of 3 renown judges, a super hyped host and the participation of the general public especially through digital.
Commenting about the project, Hellen Kirungi, the MTN Uganda Youth segment manager said, “Pulse has been mainly positioned as a lifestyle proposition.
The MPRB however, explore how the youth can use the platform as a potential future source of livelihood while continuing to enjoy the hip lifestyle that comes with it”.
It’s worth noting that Uganda’s Hip Hop industry has grown from being only popular in High School and as Karaoke acts, to become the most loved music genre today especially with the advent of Lugaflow, the vernacular version of Hip Hop that accounts for almost 90% of urban music played today.
The epic rap competition will see contestants face off in the following competition categories:
Pass on the Mic: A beat is dropped in a cypher set up and each rapper is supposed to freestyle without losing the beat and passes on the mic after the given time period
Contestants are subjected to physical activity while rapping out
Speed TEST: Contestants are rewarded for speed and articulation
Spoken word: Contestants are challenged to write and perform the spoken word
Street Concert: The challenge is set on a busy street with the objective of attracting the biggest crowds through rap
The MTN Hip Hop awards night will see 16 of the competitors walk away with various prizes. The grand prize for the overall winner will be a mentorship and recording deal in addition to cash, MTN Data and Voice minutes.
Furthermore, the winner will be an MTN Pulse ambassador for a year and his/her music will be uploaded on to Tidal, a top music streaming app that is available to MTN customers and is owned by renowned American rapper, Jay-Z. This potentially means, that the winner can, with time start earning income from the revenue earned by artistes whose work features on the app.
Aspiring rappers can take part in the MTN Pulse Rap Battles by registering at
• The MTN Pulse Rap Battles (MPRB), will be a lead up to the MTN Hip Hop Awards that the telecom has supported for the last 3 years
• The Rap battles music artform of free expression and spontaneity is a perfect fit with the MTN Pulse mantra of no fear
• Registration for auditions for the six-month long engagement is on-going. The rap battles will start this November and end with the crowning of the champion at the MTN Hip Hop awards night in February 2020
• Information on how to take part and updates about the program will be available at www.pulse.mtn.co.ug/rapbattles
• The MPRB champion will walk away with UShs15 million, talent mentorship from a leading talent management establishment and a recording deal, a year-long pulse ambassador contract, lots of MTN data and talk time among other prizes. Other finalists will get cash prizes and MTN goodies among others.