Kiira Motors responds to claims that it re-branded Chinese made buses as Kayoola

Share this:

Social media reports over the last few days have claimed that Uganda’s first locally made electric buses that were unveiled a few weeks ago aren’t actually made in Uganda.

There are allegations that claim that the buses from Kiira motors were manufactured in China then later imported and branded as the ‘Kayoola’ buses.

Kiira Motors has clarified by stating that it signed a Memorandum of Understanding with CHTC Motor Company Limited from China, in May 2018 to provide a framework for cooperation between the parties on Vehicle Assembly and Technology Transfer for the Kiira Vehicle Plant in Uganda.

Kiira Motors Corporation working with CHTC Motor Co Ltd jointly developed the Kayoola EVS Bus, a fully electric bus with a range of 300 km on a single charge.

One bus was jointly built in China at the CHTC Motor Co Ltd Facilities with Engineers from Kiira Motors Corporation,” Kiira Motors mentioned in a statement.

It continues; “The Second Bus was built by Kiira Motors Corporation Engineers with support from National Enterprise Corporation Staff at Luweero Industries in Nakasongola.”

Kiira Motors reiterated that most of the material on the buses are made out of local resources thus the buses are truly Ugandan.

“It is important to note that the floor of the Kayoola EVS is made out of Bamboo, the interior mainly plastics and aluminum with a steel superstructure and body panels. These provide an unprecedented opportunity for participation of a wide range of local manufacturers making components to feed the production line at the Kiira Vehicle Plant,” it explains in a statement.

The Kayoola EVS’ are able to transport 90 passengers, 49 sitting and 41 standing.

Under one single charge, the Kayoola EVS can run for 300km. The buses will be piloted on Kampala-Entebbe road through the Eco-bus project under Kampala Capital City Authority.

The Government of Uganda has 96% shares in Kiira Motors which are held by the Ministry of Science and Technology on behalf of the Government. The other 4% of shares are owned by Makerere University.

Share this:

Joshua Amaitum

A creative and passionate writer who loves to work magic with words